Addressee Profile: Carlos Slim
Carlos Slim made our list of addressees by being the richest man on Earth. As of March 2013, his net worth was $73,000,000,000. He has six children. [one two]
- In 2009, Slim donated $50 million to World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to develop environmental recovery and reforestation projects in Mexico. [source]
- He is also a member of the UN Advisory Group on Energy and Climate Change, which calls for governments worldwide to commit to a 40 per cent reduction in global energy intensity by 2030. [source]
- He doesn’t seem to own any coal-mining or -refining companies.
Why that’s not enough
- As we have pointed out elsewhere, reducing energy intensity still allows greenhouse gas emissions to rise.
- Slim owns several oil, gas, mining, and fossil fuel infrastructure companies. [one two three]
- He has recently been positioning himself to take full advantage of the impending privatization of Mexico’s energy sector (more on that when we profile Mexico’s president, Enrique Pena Nieto) through his ownership of Tabasco Oil as well as other companies that supply oil-related equipment. [source]
Tags: carlos slim, forbes 500