Addressee Profile: Rex Tillerson, CEO of ExxonMobile
Rex Tillerson is the current Chairman, President, and CEO of Exxon Mobil Corporation, having joined the company as an engineer in 1975.
He made our list of addressees first because Exxon Mobile is one of the largest companies in the world as ranked by revenue, and second because Exxon Mobile’s business model – to find, extract, refine, and sell as much fossil fuel as possible at the highest possible price – contributes significantly to the current climate crisis.
Positive Movement on Climate Change:
- Since 2002, Exxon Mobil has on average invested .05% of its profits into exploring renewable energy sources such as algae-based biofuels [source]
- Rex Tillerson now acknowledges the risk posed by climate change [source]
Why that’s not enough:
- ExxonMobil’s investment in renewables is miniscule compared to the amount of money it makes ($383 billion in 2010) and the amount of its revenue devoted to the pursuit of fossil fuels (around 89% using the 2010 figure) [source]
- The company has shown no willingness to leave any of its fossil fuel holdings in the ground, despite that being necessary to avert a deeper climate crisis [source]
- The company lobbies the United States government extensively to ensure their focus on fossil fuels remains as profitable as possible [source]
- The company has invested millions of dollars in the last 15 years seeking to discredit the science behind human-caused climate change, thus undermining public support for efforts to address the crisis [source]
Tags: ceo, exxonmobile, rex tillerson